Sunday Soul: Do You Practice Self-Care? You Should!
It’s Sunday, darling, and today I want you to practice self-care. Ok, you’re thinking, but what exactly is that and how do I do it? So glad you asked!
Self-care can be confusing. Honestly, I hadn’t even heard the term ten years ago. Maybe it was there, but not in my circles. Today though, you’ll be hard pressed to find a blog on women’s health or sanity doesn’t extol the virtues of self-care.
So what is it? Simply put, it is maintenance of the self. Not very inspiring though, is it?
I like this better: self-care is giving myself - my mind, my body and my soul - what they need to move through the world with joy and grace.
Yes, now we’re talking! It’s not just about keeping your engine running (although that’s super important), it’s about keeping your engine tuned and ready for the kind of driving YOU want to do.
For example, I have no interest in competing in an Ironman competition, so my self-care doesn’t require hours of training or a highly specialized diet. But, if that’s your jam then that’s exactly the care you need to move through YOUR world with joy and grace.
Here’s another one. I am highly interested in living in a harmonious home free of angst and tension. As a result, my self-care includes things like getting in a walk or yoga (to keep myself centered) and forgiving people who let me down. If I don’t do those two things, I’m a wound up stress ball with a shitty attitude. Are these the ingredients of harmony? I think not.
One more. You love your family to pieces and caring for them is a source of deep joy for you. Awesome, then that means getting plenty of sleep, recharging your batteries and staying healthy are ways that you can care for yourself. So often we put ourselves last, but when we do that, we get run down and sick. When that happens we’re no good to our people.
So get out there, girl, and take care of yo’self . Remember, everyone’s list of regular maintenance looks a little different because how we want to feel and what we hope to accomplish is a personal matter.
Do self-care your way and do it today. Need inspiration on how to do it, well, here are 35 ideas to inspire you.
- Go for a walk in nature.
- Forgive someone who wronged you.
- Catch a movie or grab a meal solo.
- Read a book.
- Turn off your phone and step away from the computer.
- Sign up for that art class.
- Visit the nutritionist.
- Let it go, that thing that feels heavy.
- Serve meals at a local shelter.
- Buy a special tea cup and make your daily dose a beautiful ritual.
- Get a massage, facial or reiki.
- Go to church, temple, an ashram or just sit on a park bench.
- Take three deep breaths.
- Give up your idea of how things should be and embrace what you have.
- Get dressed up and do date night like you’re still being courted.
- Take a long, luxurious bath with candles.
- Read your babies a story.
- Check yourself into a hotel for 24 hours of you time.
- Gather your besties for the brunch you keep talking about.
- Sign up for the race.
- Read Maya Angelou, Rumi or Chelsea Handler.
- Sweat your ass off.
- Clean up your office or organize your bedside table.
- Donate the clothes you’ll never wear again.
- Sit quietly because you can.
- See the doctor, optometrist and dentist on the regular.
- Go to bed 30 minutes early.
- Learn about something new.
- Buy yourself flowers.
- Get your hair did, your nails done or you feetsies pampered.
- Say your dream out loud.
- Send someone a thank you note for making your life beautiful.
- Snuggle your fur babies.
- Say no to something you don’t want to do.
- Go on a picnic.
Have your own self-care regimen? Tell me about it. Just hit reply.
Here’s to a beautiful day.
BOSS LADY INTERVIEW: Alison Lumbatis from Get Your Pretty On
Alison is a fashion-focused workhorse who believes balance comes from doing what you love while setting boundaries. S...
How to Stop Letting Comparison Steal Your Joy
Feeling uninspired, lost or just plain icky? It happens. Just don’t feel tempted to peek over at someone else’s life ...
3 Ways to Feel More Confident Now
Is “be more confident” one of your New Year’s resolutions? Ah… confidence. So elusive and mysterious. How do those ef...